Happy New Year! Ten things I’m thankful for on this ice cold January day…
1. Another year of life. My birthday was Sunday!
2. Close friends I’ve had for 10 years or longer. I know amazing people sometimes come into your life to stay only for a short season, and I know better than to dwell on the sadness of losing those relationships. But all this makes me especially grateful for the group of friends I’ve been able to hold onto.
3. Gourmet guacamole made fresh before my eyes. The accompanying tortilla chips should be crisp but not too hard.
4. Act of Congress. They’re a band based in Birmingham, and the members happen to be friends of mine from different parts of my life. I have begun to think one of my 2012 goals will be to convince them to collaborate with me in the recording studio on a Beatles tune I wrote. They definitely play the fire out of their instruments. Their sound is a lot like this:
5. Nick and Mary George. This fine couple basically adopted me when I was a lonely young professional newly transplanted to the middle-of-nowhere north Georgia mountains. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: if there are good people in a town I’m living in, I somehow wind up finding them and becoming friends with them.
6. Coffee shops. Who doesn’t love them? Some of my favorites feature hip live music. I first discovered the greatness of coffee shops during college. I loved going to the Crimson Cafe in Tuscaloosa, Alabama to socialize or to study and people watch.
And today, not much has changed. You can find me still patronizing local coffee shops; I’m the guy in the corner daydreaming and jotting down song ideas on a napkin.
7. Headphones. I grew up listening to a lot of music through headphones. There’s nothing like it. Listening through headphones enables you to hear stunning artistry you might miss otherwise.
8. People committed to honoring your best interest above their own interest.
9. Cheaper gas at Sam’s Club. My car has a taste for premium petro.
10. Great love songs. For someone who is not in love, I sure listen to a lot of romantic music! Classic soul and smooth R&B, folks – that’s what it’s all about.